12.09.2003

Another thought:
Early humans foraged for grains, nuts, roots and, if they were lucky, some tasty berries. We still go nuts when we watch chimps on TV use a stick to make ants-on-a-stick, a great example of what must have been early human haute-cuisine.

Now we spend top dollar to eat Crackin' Fibrous Chunks or Organic Recycled Cardboard Tofu Chips. Pretty much the same shit our ancestors wouldn't feed their pets.

I'm not advocating we eat McDonald's sugar-enriched pseudo-burgers five times a day (I don't care what Dr. Ronald McDonald, diet expert, says) but does eating healthy mean eating things that look and taste like industrial byproduct? I take great pleasure in eating. It is an intensely visceral experience for me. I like the taste of meat much like my ancestors enjoyed a haunch of slow-moving animal. I think chocolate is as much a wonder of life as a sunset or a really dirty limerick (and I don't mean the crappy, North American, not-even-close chocolate).

I think the Romans screwed us hard when they popularized and romanticized gorging and binging (as much as a culture that had "vomitoriums" can romanticize such things). Moderation, people. In all things, moderation.